Tuesday 17 September 2013

Raspberry, Lime & Black Pepper Salad Dressing


I've been cooking with a lot of gorgeous olive oil lately sent to me by Bertolli - they sent me some bottles of their different types of olive oil so that I could experiment with using different types for different uses. I'll confess, I have never in the past given thought to which type of olive oil was better for different styles of cooking so it has been great to use different types and learn as I go. Bertolli sent me three different types of their olive oil - Extra Virgin, Classic and Light. Their light olive oil was perfect for frying, and I made these amazing healthy Chilli Tofu Lettuce Wraps using it, the light olive oil really tasted light and didn't make the fried tofu oily at all.

When it comes to salad dressing though, you really want the flavour of an extra virgin olive oil. It mixes well into dressings and brings out the flavour of the other ingredients. With warmer weather on the way I wanted to make a pretty special salad dressing to celebrate. Raspberries are something that it always special to me because generally they're expensive, so they're a real treat. You can use frozen raspberries for this recipe as well, just make sure you thaw them out completely first.

This post is also part of my Veganmofo My Spice Rack theme, using black pepper from my spice rack.



Raspberry, Lime and Black Pepper Salad Dressing

Ingredients
2 tbsp fresh rapberries
1 tbsp Bertolli extra virgin olive oil
Juice of 1 lime
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp cracked black pepper

To Make
1. Crush the raspberries roughly with the back of a fork, they don't have to be smooth though.
2. Combine the raspberries with all the other ingredients in a jar and shake well. Can be made in advance and stored in the fridge.

What to put it on?
This dressing has a delicious strong flavour, so goes well to make a fairly plain salad something special. Try drizzling it over some lettuce, cucumber, tomato and avocado to really make your salad shine. Or, toss with baby spinach, thinly sliced fennel and toasted almonds for something a bit more fancy.


A quick note on this post: I received free olive oil from Bertolli to use on my blog, however, I am not being paid for this post nor am I an ambassador for this brand.

7 comments:

  1. what an interesting combination! sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was amazing! I had to refrain from eating spoonfuls from the jar.

      Delete
  2. The flavor combo sounds delicious! I adore raspberry based salad dressings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was the first one I have tried, but I'm definitely a fan now!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Mandee! It makes a beautiful colour doesn't it?

      Delete
  4. I love the vibrant color! My mouth is watering!

    ReplyDelete