Wednesday 12 December 2012

Peach and Bourbon Cobbler


Southern USA month is a great excuse to make cobbler, which is a dessert that we don't make often enough! There are plenty of different fruits commonly used in cobbler, but I thought I'd go with a classic peach cobbler, jazzed up with a splash of bourbon. It was great to have an excuse to use up the bourbon that I had sitting in my booze cupboard (yes, I have a whole cupboard dedicated to booze) which I bought to make Rainbow Banana Pancakes with Bourbon Syrup. I don't have much else to use bourbon for, so the bottle has been sitting there ever since. Now, thanks to this juicy cobbler, I have one less bottle in my booze cupboard!

Ingredients
2 kg peaches
1/4 cup bourbon
1 tbsp flour

Topping
2/3 cup soy milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 cup wholemeal flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp bicarb soda
1/4 cup castor sugar
7 tbsp non dairy margarine
1 tbsp bourbon
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup flaked almonds (optional)

To Make
1. Wash the peaches, remove the stones and slice roughly. Place in a bowl and add the bourbon. Stir through and set aside to macerate for an hour or so.
2. Preheat the oven to 170 degrees C.
3. Whisk together the soy milk and apple cider vinegar and set aside for 5 minutes to thicken.
4. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, bicarb and sugar. Cut the margarine into the mix and mix with an electric hand mixer until it forms a crumbly consistency.
5. Add the bourbon and cinnamon to the thickened soy milk. Pour into the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
6. Add 1-2 tbsp flour to the peaches and stir through. Layer the peaches in a large baking dish and spoon dollops of the batter on top. You don't have to smooth it out, the batter will expand and come together as it bakes, giving you a cobbled texture.
7. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Remove and sprinkle the flaked almonds over the top. Switch your oven to the "top"/grill setting and cook the cobbler for an extra 1-3 mintutes, or until the almonds are slightly browned. Keep your eye on this the whole time, as flaked almonds burn really easily! As you can see from my picture, I took my eye off mine for a second and they overcooked slightly. It's a fine line!

Serve warm, you can add ice cream or whipped cream if you like.
Serves 6.


No comments:

Post a Comment