Thursday 27 September 2012

Spring Vegan Ruby Grapefruit Cake


I'm excited about spring, it makes me truly happy inside! The sun is shinning, my heater is off and I've actually been able to wear some t-shirts. It's early days yet, so my light cardigans are also getting their workout, but it's still enough to make me happy and excited. I don't like winter at all, and I hate being cold! 

So, when charged with making a cake for my grandmother's birthday gathering, I felt the need to make something fruity to celebrate spring! Gorgeous big ruby grapefruits have come into season at my local supermarket, so I used them as my inspiration. The cake is deliciously sweet and tangy, whilst being moist and rich with flavour. I do, however, apologise about my icing and piping efforts in these photos, I know it's not my best work! I was in a bit of a hurry to get out of the house so I did a slightly slapdash job of it. That didn't matter though because the cake was absolutely delicious, and lucky my gradmother absolutely loves grapefruit! This was lucky, and is probably something you should check before making it for someone!!

Ingredients 
1 cup canola oil
1 1/2 cups raw sugar
2 1/4 cups soy milk
1 1/2 cups fresh ruby grapefruit juice (throw the pulp from juicing in there too!)
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups plain wholemeal flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarb soda

Icing
1 cup vegan margarine (nuttelex)
3 1/2 cups soft icing mixture
1/4 cup fresh grapefruit juice
2 tsp vanilla extract
3-4 drops pink food colouring (optional)

Plus:
Fresh grapefruit slices for decorating (this is optional, but HIGHLY recommended, as the fresh grapefruit really makes it special)
Sugared flowers (optional, just because it's spring!)

To Make
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
2. Combine the oil, sugar, soy milk, vanilla and grapefruit juice in a large mixing bowl and whisk until combined (you can also just stir with a wooden spoon, but a whisk really gets the job done nicely!).
3. Sift in the dry ingredients and mix together to combine. Don't over stir, just make sure it is all nicely combined.
4. Grease a 23cm diameter cake pan (preferably springform) and line the bottom with baking paper. Pour in the batter.
5. Bake for 1 hour, or until a knife inserted into the centre comes out clean.
6. Remove from the oven, run a sharp knife around the outside edge of the tin to separate any bits of the cake that may have stuck to the tin. Allow to cool in the tin for about 20 minutes and then remove the sides of the pan and gently transform the cake to a wire cooling rack to cool the rest of the way.
7. To make the icing, combine the margarine and soft icing mixture and beat with electric beaters until combined. Add the vanilla, grapefruit juice and food colouring and beat until it forms a light fluffy icing. If it is a little soft in consistency you can add a bit more icing sugar to make it firmer and easier to pipe.
8. Once the cake is completely cool cover the top and sides in icing. You can pipe borders or just leave it smooth. Decorate the top with slices of fresh grapefruit.

Makes 1 large cake.



Looking for great vegan cakes? Try some of these!


1 comment:

  1. This is perfect, I have a basket of grapefruits on my bench that really need to be used. Thanks for sharing this one.

    ReplyDelete