Wednesday 29 February 2012

Chadian Recipes

Map from worldatlas.com

This month I have been featuring recipes from Chad - a landlocked central African country which is one of the poorest countries in the world. It has been a bit challenge to explore cuisine from Chad, as countries which struggle so much to feed their people don't often feature a haute cuisine! However, I managed to find reference to many ingredients and vegetables which would be eaten by Chadian people - although never having been to Chad I wouldn't be able to comment on how authentic the things I made were! It anybody has been or knows more about this area I'd love to hear from you! 

Despite the challenging theme I had a really fun time coming up with dishes! Here is a quick summary of what I made:

~Breakfast~
Breakfast Bouille (Rice and Peanut Porridge)
I loved having the chance to do a breakfast dish for a featured country! I'm always looking for great new vegan breakfast ideas and this was certainly different to anything else I've had. I recommend using it as a base recipe and adding your own favourite things to flavour it. Check out the recipe here.


~Savoury~
Millet Balls with 3 Dipping Sauces
I found a lot of references to Chadians eating millet balls dipped in sauces but I found no recipes or references to how it was made or even what sauces! So this is what I devised for it! The millet balls are baked with a lovely crunchy outside and the three sauces were great. Peanut Sauce, Saka Saka Sauce (Spinach & Okra) and Harissa Sauce. All the sauces are nice on their own served over rice as well. The peanut sauce from this recipe is one of my favourite things from this month's recipes!! Check out the recipe here.

Sweet Potato Fritters
You'll have to excuse the very average photo of this one! We were so keen to get in and eat them straight away that I didn't have time to style or photograph properly - but don't let that deter you because they were fantastic. They were my favourite of the savoury dishes from this month and were even more perfect eaten with the peanut sauce (recipe above). Check out the recipe here.

Irio
This dish of mashed beans, vegetables and potato is very versatile. It makes a delicious meal by itself when topped with Chadian Peanut sauce (above), it also makes a great and healthy side dish of vegies for any dish. Leftovers make great vegie burgers or bubble and squeak. All delicious options! Check out the recipe here.

Kachumbari
This refreshing and easy salad is eaten in many countries in Africa. It's simple but delicious and goes perfectly with almost any meal! Check out the recipe here.

Maharagwe I
This was a delicious dish or creamy coconut kidney beans. It is very easy to make and it was a big hit with the dinner guests I had around to help me eat the food. It's a perfect dish for a potluck or a group dinner. Check out the recipe here.

~Sweet~

Loz (Almond and Orange Blossom Water Bites)
I don't know if this is an authentic Chadian recipe! It seems more Middle Eastern to me but I found it and I wanted to make it anyway. They were INCREDIBLE. I cannot recommend this recipe enough - and my dinner guests agreed! Check out the recipe here.


I hope you have enjoyed this journey with me! I'm excited to announce that next month I will be featuring:
Bosnian Foods!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment